Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Season of Giving

Christmas is lurking just around the corner, and, like most holidays, calls for us to spend time volunteering and participating in all kinds of charity work for those less fortunate than ourselves. I'm all about charity. I used to volunteer some of my time at the Humane Society, which is why I now know that all cats eat their own shit and try to tear your eyes out if you move their food dishes. Most charity organizations pump up volunteer work by emphasizing that "warm, fuzzy feeling" you'll get when you do something good. The way I see it, though, is that if I can find other ways to get that "warm, fuzzy feeling," then aren't I pretty much doing charity work? For example, I love giving awesome gifts to my friends for their birthdays. I get that warm feeling inside everytime a friend opens up an envelope with a sweet-ass Magic card inside or sees a home-made card colored with their favorite colors. It brings a smile to their faces and it brings a smile to mine. Isn't that really what the holidays are all about? I don't need to volunteer at a soup kitchen or donate all 72 pairs of my old jeans that I don't use anymore to feel good and warm and fuzzy inside. I think we should all think about this, especially with my birthday coming up in a couple months.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment